Thursday, January 13, 2011

Creamy Tomato Soup

An old favorite. My oldest son LOVES this soup! I make it a lot, so I wanted to include it here as a reference. Not a new recipe for me, but maybe for you!

Comments: I use reduced sodium soups and tomatoes with added spices. You can adjust spices as desired. I also use reduced fat cream cheese, but it does not melt as thoroughly, so you might have white bits in your soup. I have omitted the milk on occasion, and used vegetable broth, and is still quite yummy.

Verdict: *****

Creamy Tomato Soup
(Taste of Home's Quick Cooking -- March/April 2000 issue)

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbsp butter
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, cubed


Directions:
In a saucepan, saute onion and butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes, soup, milk, sugar, basil, paprika, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Serve immediately. Tastes delicious with grilled cheese sandwiches or bread from our favorite bread store.

No comments:

Post a Comment