Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fennel and Potato Bake

Potatoes and fennel from csa box. Random cheese assortment that needed to be eaten from my fridge

Comments: I pretty much used the original recipe as a launching pad since I realize now, I really didn't follow it very well. It was quite tasty, so I am not complaining. Just wanted you to know that the original link below and what I actually made are not quite the same. I accidentally omitted the butter from the layers, but did add more cheese intentionally. I think it was all for the best. We are indeed a cheese family.

Verdict: Unclear.  We are not big potato people over here. I don't actually purposefully buy potatoes and never order them when we are out. So, a definite lack of exposure around here. Also, I am not sure if the boys were being truthful when they said they didn't like it. Sometimes they make decisions about things too early and don't change their minds, even after they finish it all. But, I would give it 2 stars if I could, so we'll just say:
   Verdict: ****

Fennel and Potato Bake
a la Martha Stewart


Ingredients

Serves 6

Butter for pan
2 medium fennel bulbs
5 large red potatoes, peeled
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup grated cheese (I used a mixture of Parmesan, Mozzarella, and Provolone)
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
  2. Trim fennel bulbs; halve, and core. Slice bulbs and potatoes very thin (1/8 inch thick).
  3. Add potatoes to prepared dish in three layers, alternating with two layers of fennel; season each layer with salt and pepper, sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese.  Omit cheese from final layer as it will be added later.
  4. Pour cream over top. Bake until potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment