Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chinese "Hot Drop" Soup

We are not Chinese, but being festive, we decided to have a little Chinese New Year dinner to use up some of the things in my fridge. I love a few different chinese soups. My favorite might be the hot and sour soup. My kids are tolerant of spice, but probably not that much "hot". I also really like egg drop soup and my kids have had this and tolerated it. And... we have a bunch of bok choy... so, I am making a mish mash soup. I know mixing the flavors might turn out to be terrible, but we'll see how it goes. Egg drop soup is so bland, and 2 of my kids are sick, so we might need a little more flavor (like the hot and sour). It will just be an experiment.

Bok Choy from CSA box
tofu left over from potstickers
white onion subsituted for green since we have white on hand
ginger i bought for an orzo recipe, but didn't end up using because we had this instead - plus i have 2 sick kids, and I hear ginger helps.

Verdict: ****** (my mom joined us for the celebration!)

Comments:
I didn't measure anything, but approximated my made-up recipe. I probably added closer to 1/2 cup onion and 3 tsp red wine vinegar, but feel free to make yours how you like it.


Chinese "Hot Drop" Soup

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth
8 oz tofu, small cubes
1/4 cup finely diced onion
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp Asian sesame oil
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, peeled, chopped
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup bamboo shoots
3 heads baby bok choy, leaves only, thinly sliced
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions:
Bring the chicken broth to boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the red pepper flakes, soy sauce, Asian sesame oil, red wine vinegar, ginger, bamboo shoots, and the chopped garlic.

Add the bok choy. Simmer for up to 10 minutes, until the bok choy leaves turn dark green and are wilted and tender. Remove soup from heat. Very slowly pour in the eggs in a steady stream. Stir egg in a clockwise direction for approximately 1 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment